Coco plum have the scientific name Chrysobalanus icaco and are also known locally as Hicaco or Fat Pork. These plants are found around southern Florida in USA, Bahamas, Carribean and tropical Africa. They look a lot like grapes but are bigger when they turn ripe with a dark reddish to a dark purplish color and are sweet to the taste.
The Coco plum plant has a high resistance for salt thus it is regularly planted to settle shoreline edges and counteract disintegration near the shores around USA. Coco plums health benefits are several although they are not much known by many.
The Coco plum tree is local to the beach front zones of south Florida where they are quite common and to the Caribbean islands, Mexico and South America where they are seen growing in wild around the shoreline areas mostly. The Coco plum plants regularly develop in brushes on sandy soils independently on rough seaside expansions.
Coco plum plants flourish best around moderate climatic conditions and are exceedingly tolerant of dry season, wind and even salt shower, however they give in wet or shady conditions.
Harvesting Coco plum Plants
A great deal of consideration should be taken while reaping coco plums. The Coco plum bushes can flourish in around well drained soil with a pH of 6.6 to 8.4. Coordinating a 2-inch layer of fertilizer into the local soil can fortify seepage although it should be noted that ice and icy temperatures of 32 degrees Fahrenheit or lower can harm the foliage of the plant.
The harm can be to a vast degree but subsequently covering them with a fabric can minimize the damage caused, as can developing the plants in compartments and moving them inside amid cool periods can likewise be proposed to advance solid development. Sodden soil is perfect for new developing coco plum plants, yet once settled, they can endure brief times of dry season.
Coco plum habitat
- Coco plums are perennial shrubs and as mentioned are mostly found growing in coastal dunes and rocky soils in warm tropical climates such as Florida, Bahamas and the Caribbeans.
Coco plum plants for the most part develop in a bush arrangement, yet they may likewise frame little trees. The stems are dim and twigs seem green and change to dark red as they develop. Coco plum leaves are dull green, gleaming and marginally under 1 crawl long. Coco plums are sensitive to hard frosts and should be protected on cold nights. Young coco plum plants grow faster with regular fertilization around the seasons of March, June and September.
Uses of Coco plum plant and fruits
The coco plums have a somewhat sweet flavor and can be eaten crude crazy or likewise be utilized as a part of jelly. The seeds of the plant is additionally consumable as it has high oil content and has a nutty flavor, however to some degree tasteless. This natural product is likewise used to make jams and structures and forms a vital part of the Seminole Indians of southern Florida’s eating regimen.
Coco plum plant – Scientific details
USDA Zone: 10b-12b (32°F leaf damage)
Growth Rate: Moderate to fast
Leaf: Simple, alternate, shiny, dark green thick and leathery, elliptic or nearly round
Flower: Insignificant, greenish white, slightly sweet fragrance, arranged in cymes along the twigs
Leaf Persistence: Evergreen Salt Tolerance: High for ‘Horizontal’ cultivar, lower for ‘Red Tip’ cultivar
Drought Tolerance: Medium Wind Resistance: High Soil: Wide Nutritional Requirements: Low
Potential Pests: Sri Lanka weevil, Lobate lac scale; whitefly
Typical Dimensions: For the inland variety: 5 feet tall as a hedge and 15 feet tall and 14 feet wide as a specimen.
For the coastal variety; 4 feet tall.
Propagation: Cuttings; seeds; air layering Human hazards: None Uses: Hedge; dune stabilizer; honey plant; specimen.
A ripe Coco plum fruit
13 Amazing Health Benefits of Cocoplums
- Coco plums are good for your eyes: Coco plums contain a healthy amount of Beta carotene and vitamin A which is necessary for the healthy functioning of your eyes. Beta carotene and vitamin A prevent macular degeneration and helps protect the corneas against harmful UV rays.
- Good for Cardiovascular Well being: Coco plums are good for the heart and heart health. Dried coco plums are known to promote fluidity of the blood thus they can lessen chances of heart attacks. Having coco plums can help in the improvement of atherosclerosis and the lessening in chances for heart assaults and strokes.
- Coco plums have healthy cholesterol (HDL) levels: Coco plums have health cholesterol help in preventing hypercholesterolemia and hyperlipidemia. Good cholesterol helps build and maintain healthy cell membranes. Improves cell signaling in support of T-cell, B-cell and other immune functions. Cholesterol is a precursor molecule for the making of Vitamin D and may also act as an antioxidant. It has been seen that people with high cholesterol levels in their body tend to live the longest.
- Improves Immune System: Coco plums have a high vitamin C content which is very good for the immune system. It advances the body’s resistance against different types of contaminations and irritations. Research has demonstrated that oriental plums have immuno stimulatory constituents that energize the generation of Nitric oxide in the body. Having coco plums can obstruct the metastasis of tumor cells.
- Coco plums helps prevent cancer: Coco plum have been proven beneficial in cancer. Research have shown that epicatechin which is present in coco plums and other plums helps in inhibiting the growth of malignant cancer cells and induces apoptosis in liver cancer. Being rich in antioxidants and phyto-nutrients, chlorogenic acid and neo-chlorogenic acid, coco plums fight cancer cells without harming normal healthy cells of the body.
- Coco plums are good for cellular health: Coco plums contain essential iron and copper which assists in blood purification and healthy circulation. The copper found in coco plums acts as an antioxidant and is essential for nerve health and aids in the formation of collagen. Consumption of copper-rich coco plums helps the body to absorb iron. Copper and iron also helps in preventing various diseases like anemia and degenerative diseases such as osteoarthritis.
- Coco plums are great for skin: Being a rich source of vitamin C and other antioxidants mean that coco plums just like other plums are really good for your skin. Coco plums can give you a smooth radiant skin and fight dark spots and acnes naturally.
- Helpful for pregnant women: Coco plums are helpful for pregnant women as they are a rich source of vitamins and minerals
- Helpful in constipation: The rich fiber content in coco plums are helpful in digestion and during constipation.
- Beneficial for electrolyte balance in the body: Coco plums contain a high amount of potassium and are thus beneficial for effective functioning of tissues and cells inside your body. Potassium helps in regulating the acid base balance and muscle contractions in the body.
- Coco plums can promote bone health: Coco plums contain vitamin K which promotes bone health and corrects weaker bones in the body. Deficiency of this particular vitamin in your body can and will result in an excessive blood loss.
- Coco plums are a good antidote to anxiety: You should have coco plums everyday as they have an anxiolytic effects and antioxidant properties of chlorogenic acids present in plums can help cure anxiety patterns.
- Promotes weight loss: Scientific studies conducted by the University of Liverpool in UK suggests that eating dried plums have a positive effect in promoting weight loss.